Sunday, June 5, 2016

Art 3 Final

1. Two pieces of art that I have done this semester that have shown my growth as an artist are my prismacolor pencil wolf and the acrylic wash of the parrot. They both were done in techniques I had never done. I think they both helped grow my comfort zone of what materials I can use.

2. My artistic strengths are my ability to see shapes rather than an image as a whole. Sometimes it helps to be able to break down an object into shapes and makes the object not seem as difficult to draw either. I'm also a perfectionist which can be both a strength and a weakness. In ways I think its a strength when it allows me to zone in on detail, and accurate drawings. Although, it can be a weakness because it makes me see all mistakes I made. This makes me very critical of my own work, and can discourage me. In the end I think I have a rather balanced set of strengths and weaknesses. My opinion might change over the years as my artistic skills change and learn more about myself.

3. I struggled a bit with the metaphor project. At first it was hard to find a good story/metaphor that I wanted to illustrate. Then I didn't have a clue to how I wanted to illustrate it. I ended up making a cute little cartoon. Although, I did the project on mat board not illustration board so materials I used didn't have the effect I wanted. Personally, I don't think I overcame my struggles as more as I just dealt with them. The end result was a cute little comic strip. Sadly, I don't like the project as for it looks kiddish and doesn't accurately display my level of artistic skill. If I was to do this assignment again I might have stuck with the same metaphor, but I would love to have done a more deeper/challenging piece to illustrate. Honestly, I might even change the metaphor as well.


4. My favorite project honestly was the acrylic wash of the parrot. I created by cropping an image I found online and then doing a full value sketch on a piece of illustration board. Then I painted several layers of watered down acrylic paint one on the top of each other. I liked it because I liked how the look of the picture changed as the layers built up. At first I feared that I would never be able to get the right colors. I think the piece says a lot about me, in the way of growth. I never done this technique before and I think the piece shows that its okay to go outside of my comfort zone. Turns out I like the technique way more than I thought. The piece is a lot better than the rest of my work because I spent way more time into the project than anything else. Also, I had help during it, from someone who is amazing at that technique. What makes it good is the detail I created with the layering of colors and each individual feather stroke. I DO NOT HAVE A PICTURE OF THE PIECE BECAUSE YOU TOOK IT UP TO GRADE, I WILL UPDATE IT WITH A PICTURE WHEN I FINISH IT.!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment